Are you aware that 80% of SEO is quite easy?
The remaining 20% involves difficult aspects like competitor research, technical SEO, site audits, backlink analysis, etc. Did you heard regarding 80/20 Pareto rule?
It suggests that 80% of your results originate from 20% of your hard work. This same rule is applicable to the SEO tool. If you emphasize on the correct SEO fundamentals, you can obtain a competitive edge in the market.
It’s quite simple but if you are still confused on this, you can go through our blog titled BloggersPassion organic traffic stats for the past 13 years.
As evident from the above results, since the past 13 years i.e. from 2010 to 2022, it is clear that our total page views have enhanced from ~22k to almost ~2.6 Million pageviews. Moreover, if you carefully glance at the chart, you’ll find that the overall sessions are rising each single year (notwithstanding terrible updates provided from Google).
Are you interested to get the similar consistent growth in your traffic? If yes then this ultimate SEO tutorial 2023 designed for beginners is useful for you!
Why we determined to write a detailed SEO tutorial for beginners is to assist YOU get into the proper direction in 2023 as well as obtain the finest outcomes from the search engines such as Google.
You can click the below link to use Semrush Tool for free for the next 30 days.
Table of Contents
What Is SEO And How It Works?
Before going deep into SEO tutorial for 2023, it’s better to understand the basics of SEO and how it contributes to the growth of your website sales and traffic.
Did you ever think that how do search engines determine which website to demonstrate first, second, third, and so on, in the search results?
Well, there are hundreds of websites that are competing to achieve a top place within the search results. However, only those websites which follows SEO win this race. Generally speaking, SEO is defined as a set of rules that must be followed if you aim to optimize your site for search engines as well as improve your search engine rankings.
Google currently processes more than 63,000 search queries per second and it ultimately converts to 5.6 billion searches each day and approx. 2 trillion global searches each year globally, as per HubSpot statistics.
You can just visualize the meaning of this number and how it can impact your business if you can effectively try to obtain your small share of traffic from the available billions of monthly searches. Generally, Search engine traffic is the greatest valuable source of traffic regardless of the type of website. It can turn into higher conversions. Moreover, SEO is extremely significant for your online success.
You must understand the following terms about SEO:
The present SEO tutorial step by step for beginners is categorized into 2 easy sections. This is because it helps you to easily find the necessary details and then implement the same. So, let’s dive deep into the details.
PART I – Learn SEO Basics
1. On-Page SEO
For those who are just beginning with SEO, it is imperative to the significance of on-page optimization.
The manner you optimize your content can lay a BIG influence on its potential to rank within the search engines such as Google.
Irrespective of the type i.e. off-page SEO or on-page SEO, the target is to achieve optimization of separate web pages to rank them higher as well as get more related traffic in search engines. On-page SEO looks after this for optimizing content and the HTML source code of a page, and also the user-friendly interface of your website.
It looks after all activities you do on your website including internal linking, page titles, meta tags &meta descriptions, etc. Usually, On-page SEO includes all the components of SEO that you can effectively control.
The following section discusses the three main things that you must consider if you want to grow your online business. It also solves your query on how to optimize your content.
1. Create A Solid Content Strategy
Certainly, Content is king. What’s the reason behind people visiting your site? If your website includes information that they want then you will visit it. Usually, a user feels satisfied if he finds the relevant results that best serve his needs. Make sure to write quality content.
Google determines whether to rank your website higher or not depending on your content. Moreover, Google always want to provide the best outcomes to its users which you can provide through your content.
Here are the factors that make up a great content:
- Brainstorm for some time and subsequently determine a convincing headline before you write the content.
- Develop writing a daily habit and you would be able to reach to the great audience quite soon.
- After you begin writing, ascertain that you incorporate all the statistics and useful information within your content.
- In the absence of keyword research, the content may also fail. So, you need to incorporate your targeted keyword inside your post’s headline as well as in the whole article. Select your keyword before you begin writing.
- Keyword stuffing is ineffective so you need to carefully and meaningfully utilize keywords.
- Google prefers fresh content which includes posting new content or upgrading your older posts.
- When you write a direct answer then Google identifies it as an answer to a specific question.
Quick note: If you aim to get maximum benefits from on-page SEO, you must first perform keyword research. You need to find out a primary keyword for each blog post you write. Subsequently, you can use that primary keyword with in meta description, page titles, alt tags etc. to quickly boost website traffic.
1. Put Your Primary Keyword In The Page Title
Title is capable to entice the readers. Your article gets read or not entirely relies on your blog post’s title. The title is quite important for Google. Experts mention that you can include up to 50-60 characters into a title.
You should use the primary keyword within the page title. Whenever a person searched using that keyword, search engine would highlight the particular keyword and shows in search results.
2. Put Your Keywords In The Meta Description
After incorporating primary keyword within page title, it is significant to include the same in meta description section as well.
The key purpose is to bring huge traffic from Google search engine. But, search engine usually don’t use this meta-description factor within its algorithm. It utilizes CTR(Click-Through-Rate) to decide if your post link is good to display or not.
Hence, you must incorporate primary keyword inside meta description.
Keep this in mind while writing meta description:
- Include call-to-actions anywhere in the meta description. For example, you can include it like “Learn more”, “Grab the deal” and so on. It will encourage the readers to click on that so link.
- Make sure to always write unique content within the meta description which is usually up to 135 to 160 characters long.
- Don’t keywords that are irrelevant. This is because users consider its spamming and instantly presses the back button.
3. Don’t Ignore Meta Tags
In all your blog posts, it is compulsory to write meta keywords. This must be done in meta keyword as well as meta description sections. Remember to use only targeted keyword. Within the meta tags section, you must use all possible relevant keywords for that specific blog post. Moreover, you need to incorporate the type of keywords that users might search.
Search engines obtain information related to your blog site via meta tags. Hence, they index your site. Moreover, meta tags describe the purpose of your blog post.
4. Optimize Your URLs
Make sure your URL is simple and short. If it’s possible, try to utilize your primary keyword inside it. You must use straightforward and user-friendly URLs for all blog posts you make. The same are displayed in the web browser address.
Suppose you have written a confusing URL for your blog post but there is another blog that writes same content but with clear and simple URL. In this case, the search engines prioritize the simple ones.
You therefore need to optimize your URL for the search engine.
Here’s how to do it?
- If it’s possible, incorporate keyword in URL but don’t unnecessarily stuff it. It must make sense.
- Create it short as possible, approx. 50 to 60 characters long. But if it reaches more than 100, you must re-write it.
- It will be beneficial if your URL and page title matches. However, make sure you don’t write unclear URLs.
- For instance your blog post title is “5 best yoga exercises for children” then you can also optimize URL as yourblogname.com/yoga-exercises-children
5. Use H2, H3 Tags As The Sub-Headings (By Including Your Keywords)
As implied from the name, the heading tags imply that it would be used when writing headings. Apparently, you must use heading 1 for your blog post’s title.
When you are writing sub-headings within the post, you must use h2 and h3 tags. But when writing the sub heading, you need to use h2 tag and h3 tag for the sub-subheading.
It provides the clear details to the readers about the topic of the post and the way it will be beneficial for them. If they consider it relevant, they would read the whole article and share it forward on social media. Thus, you need to write catchy sub-headings. Moreover, it assists Google to easily find the key topics and so it proves to be user-friendly.
Simply by reading sub-headings, the users can understand. If possible, you can incorporate keywords within sub-headings, but remember not to forcibly over stuff because it may change its meaning.
6. Image Alt Tags Are Important
One image tells louder more than thousands of words. Hence, in your blog post, you can use images relevant to your post.
If you include images, you can massively share them in on Twitter and Pinterest. If you aim to enhance your blog website’s visibility, you should write alt text for the image that you upload.
Alt text denotes the description of the image.
How it is helpful?
- If Google can’t display image then the alt tag would be displayed. The reason is search engine find it quite difficult to read. Hence, if you write the image’s alt text then search engine can easily understand it.
- It also assists the visually impaired people because they utilize screen readers. Hence, using alt text for the image is a recommended practice. Make sure to always be unique when writing alt text for any image.
- If possible, you need to utilize keywords in image alt text because it boosts the odds of image displaying in search results.
You canuse WordPress which is quite easy to fill alt text for a particular image. This is because it displays alt text dialogue box whenever you upload an image.
7. Use Your Primary Keyword In The Introduction Of Your Post
The introduction of blog post must be extremely fascinating to read. Remember not to drag it excessively and don’t write unnecessary information. You can use certain statistics in the introduction section that is relevant to your blog post. You need to use the primary keyword at least one in the introduction section.
8. Internal Linking Is Super Important
Internal links are links that directs to one of your previous blog posts within your blog.
Why to do internal linking?
- Your older posts will get a fresh update whenever you link it in your newly written post. Makes sure to incorporate only related links. This way your previously uploaded blog post will be beneficial to the reader when reading the existing post then only you need to include link.
- It improves their search engine rankings by improving their Page Authority(PA).
You can perform internal linking only if there is plenty of content to upload. Hence, remember to create quality content and write many posts under your blog.
Quick note: Luckily, if you are a WordPress user, there is an effective tip for you within this SEO tutorial for beginners. You can begin using Rank Math SEO plugin. It is freely available and yo can perform all the above discussed things although you are not a SEO master.
2. Provide Great Experience To User Through Site Architecture
A well-designed website architecture offers an awesome user experience when browse your page. You must to optimize several things to obtain the excellent engine experience.
- Make your website easy to crawl: Crawlabilitydenotes the search engine robots’ potential to crawl as well as index the pages on a particular website. If the links present on your website are formatted such that doesn’t prove to be search-engine friendly, then your website’s crawlability will be very poor. One of the finest tools that you can employ to approximate how a search engine robot would crawl your website is Xenu’s Link Sleuth.
- Myths around duplicate content: You can repost your content on other websites or publish your guest posts again on your website. This practice will not negatively impact your SEO. The superb approach to counteract duplicate content is to include a 301 redirect from the duplicate page towards the original content webpage.
- Make your site mobile-friendly: More than 500 million Facebook users only use facebook via their mobile phone daily. This Google’s tool helps you to test mobile-friendliness of your website.
- Page speed: Time is most important and the lengthy load times can destroy your conversions. Make sure to use page speed insights to test it.
- Change the structure of permalinks: You can modify your WordPress permalink architecture. Open Settings, and under that you need to click on Permalinks and choose Post name. Now incorporate your targeted keywords within the URLs of blog posts (that you uploaded) rather than dates or other details.
The above step explains the fundamentals of on-page SEO. Now, let’s get details about off-page SEO.
Generally, most people consider that off-page SEO is mainly about links. But it is actually not only about links. Usually, off-page also covers building and developing your website’s authority through social shares, links, user engagement and more.
The following section discusses about off-page optimization to improve your website’s rankings, organic traffic, and authority.
What Is Off-Page SEO?
There is no accurate definition for this but it is a practice of optimizing your brand’s presence in online as well as offline mode with the help of your content, link, and relationships. It involves the techniques that are useful to boost a website’s position within the search engine results page (SERPs).
Benefits of off-page SEO:
- Boosts website rank: The website would rank higher in the SERPs and it leads to higher traffic.
- Boosts PageRank: Google values the significance of a website viaPagerankwhose value falls in the range of 0 to 10.
- Your website receives more exposure: When your website gets higher ranking, it automatically receives more exposure. Moreover, it obtains more visits, links, and social media mentions.
The following section discusses four key aspects that you must consider if you are dedicated to get more traffic towards your website
Build Trust: Learn How To Build Trust
When trying to rank pages in the top 10 search results, Google uses PageRank. Trustrank helps Google to check whether your site is legal or not.
Here are the four ways that you can build up trust:
- Improve authority: The total authority of your website is evaluate by two types of authority. The first one is Domain Authority that manages how famous your domain name is. The second one is Page Authority that connects to the extent of authoritativeness of your single pages’ content.
- Bounce rate: It denotes how many people view only a single page on your website, before instantly departing off again. Loading times, content, content’s usability and bringing in the right readers are helpful if you want to reduce your bounce rate.
- Domain age matters: If your website is not yet launched and running, then you can find a cost-effective, expired domain and begin using it.
- Enhance your personal identity: The massive trust signal for any search engine is having personal identity online or brand online. But, it takes some time to build.
Link Building: Most Effective Off Page SEO Method
Links are extremely significant to Google. But if there are no links directing to your website then it’s impossible for Google to decide your webpage’s value. This situation is applicable although you post fresh or detailed content.
It is the highly famous and successful off-Page SEO method. But if you aim to beat your competitors and have higher rank then you must build external links towards your website. You don’t need to simply wait for people to link to your website. You must take initiative.
Make sure you follow these three factors while acquiring backlinks:
- Quality is everything: Your links’ quality matters more than the quantity of the links you are having. You can contact the correct sources and provide value in return for a powerful link.
- Anchor text: The anchor text represents the text used whenever other websites link to you
- Number of links: You can effectively build high quality backlinks.
Get Socialized: Be More Active On Social Media To Get Better Rankings
When Google identifies your contribution more on different social networks, there are more possibilities to display you results from the respective bands. It can also be from your personal contacts. If you are active on social media, you get a better rank.
Here are the two main factors of how you can influence on social media:
- Who shares matters to Google: If any of the influencers in your particular niche shares your content then the particular share owns higher value in the view of Google. The question is how to let them share your content on different social networks. Before publishing them, make sure to incorporate them by interviewing or quoting them. Moreover, you can find an identical article using tools like Buzzsumoas well as find influencers who have shared it. Subsequently, you can let them inform you have posted a new piece on the similar topic.
- Number of shares: In case your content becomes viral, it automatically receives more shares. You need to check that you publish excellent content which is also trending.
Engage In Forums And Related Boards
If you plan that your desired audience notice your content and the influencers subsequently visit the most famous blogs in the niche and provide insightful comments. You can engage more on Reddit and Quorarelated to your topics and niche questions.
Those relationships developed on these platforms can pay massive dividends and can be useful off-page SEO method.
If anybody finds your comments on any of these platforms, and begins following you either on LinkedIn or Google to know more about you/your brand, it eventually lands them to your website. Subsequently, it will end up either in sign up for your newsletter or subscribe for your blog.
The off-page SEO as well as on-page SEO are quite significant for your online business’ success. But if you are running an online business, you must comprehend the significance of these two processes to obtain organic traffic from different search engines.
They make your websites discoverable by the search engines whenever anyone searches for specific keywords related to your site.
Write Answers On Quora (Link To Your Content)
You can bring massive traffic to your blog by posting answers on Quora.
What is Quora? It refers to the Q&A website where you obtain quality answers for whatever question. It owns over 4.6 million registered users.
You can imagine that if you write quite good answers on Quorarelevant to your blog niche then you can image the amount of traffic that can be attracted from Quora.
What you can do on Quora?
- Upload your bio and areas of interest.
- Include blog link within your profile bio. Make sure to provide clear information because if any of your answers went viral, most people read your bio. Hence, you must bring those visitors on your blog.
- You need to subscribe to only those topics which you wish to observe in the feed.
- Choose topics depending on your blog niche.
- Write valuable answers to the greatest discussed and the highly viewed question.
- Incorporate your blog post link within the answer if that can assist.
- If there are no such posts in your blog, incorporate your blog link at the answer’s end.
- You can ask question and then answer the question yourself.
What you shouldn’t do on Quora?
- For the sake pof promotion, don’t provide links inside the answer like “Read the remaining answer on my blog”, “check my blog”. By doing this way, your answer would be downvoted.
- Don’t spam the content. Many business people and successful entrepreneurs also exist. Hence, you must be careful when writing.
3. Attract High-Quality Backlinks
If you aim to receive more authority and obtain higher rankings within the search engines, you must obtain relevant, high quality backlinks towards your website.
In addition to the content, links are the No.1 ranking factor. Google significantly cares about links. However, all links are not equal. So, you must be quite careful when you begin a link building campaign. Remember that the links you create are natural so that Google will not penalize your website.
The Importance Of Backlinks
If you a beginner blogger, you will be confused on how to obtain links from authority sites. To become a successful blogger, you must obtain get authority links towards your blog.
Link building is an effective strategy to boost rankings for your post within the search engine. But if you aim to display your blog post on the initial page of search engine results, you should be quite serious about building links from the authority sites.
Authority sites are sites that have great influence in digital world and are relied upon by several users. Those websites are ranked at top of theSERP(Search Engine Results Page) results. Moreover, they offer useful and superior quality content.
What benefits your blog gets if you can get links from authority sites?
- Higher organic search traffic to your blog.
- Increased number of social sharings for your uploaded blog posts.
- Improves Domain Authority(DA) of your blog website.
Well, now the question is how to get links from authority sites?
1. Do Guest Posting
Prepare a list of influential bloggers within your niche. Think creative topic idea and begin contacting them via mail.
How you can find sites to write guest posts?
- You need to type “your blog niche” + “write for us” in the search engine Google. For instance, “finance blog” + “write for us” shows all the results that allows guest posts.
- You can check as “your blog niche” + “guest post” too.
2. Fill The Gaps In Content
All bloggers don’t completely cover each topic. A great blogger can miss certain details when writing post. For instance, in a blog post if it specifies, you need to find your competitors and begin link building. However, they may forget to mention where to search.
This is partial information. Whenever you find these blog posts having gaps in the content, you need to contact the blog owners and inform them. You allow them to fill the gaps within the content. Hence, you can obtain credit to link for your blog.
Make sure to find such blog posts only from the authority sites and also relevant to your blog niche.
3. Spy On Your Competitors
It is not wrong to spy on your competitors. You need to notice where they are receiving backlinks and then follow it. You can check it using below ways:
- You can utilize Semrush and type the keyword related to your niche. Consequently, it will show all your competitor URLs
- You can utilize free tools like open link profiler and provide all competitor URLs to see their backlinks. After you assess their backlink sources, it is easy to find different opportunities to engage those links to your websites.
4. Check Broken Links And Contact Site Owner
By detecting dead or broken links on authority sites, it is easy to obtain a link. The below ways help you to check forany broken links of your competitor after which you could benefit from them.
- Type keywords related to your niche in Google and choose an URL.
- Open broken link checker, provide the URL and then search for broken links. You have found it if any of the displayed links directs to 404 error page.
- The next step is to send mail to the blog owner and you can recommend replacing that dead link along your post link. Remember that you have post relevant to that content existing in your blog.
5. Update Old Posts
It is advisable to frequently update your old posts. Next thing is to keep the site updated. However, it is impossible for the bloggers having lots of posts in their websites.
If you could assist them in refreshing their old blog posts, you would receive backlink. Hence, you need to search for the old content in your blog niche’s the authority sites. Subsequently, you have to contact them that you would update it at free of cost. Many people prefer to get instructive post contributions from others and you can provide a link back in form of the credit.
6. Interview Top Bloggers
You can conduct interview the influential bloggers prevailing in your industry. It is the fastest approach to improve your online visibility, links, traffic, and social shares.
If you want to boost your website’s credibility in the digital world, you need to bring traffic to your blog, to create relationships with many other bloggers, to engage readers to your blog, and conduct interviews with leading influencers prevailing in your blog niche.
When contacting them for interview, you must not ask a lot of questions. Usually, leading bloggers are quite busy so you can ask them several important questions and the one that assist readers. The two effective ways are discussed below.
- Broken link building: You need to search for broken links on a website relevant to your niche and then send mail to the content owner. This keeps them notified about the broken link. You need to suggest with the identical link from your site and request them to refresh their post with new content. You can download and setup the Google Chrome plugin known as Check my Links to find out broken links. You must introduce yourself and be friendly when contacting them.
- Use infographics: This is one of the most famous approaches for driving traffic towards your website and helps you to obtain valuable backlinks. You need to follow the existing trending topics and notice what people are searching for. Subsequently, you can make your infographic through statistical data. The next step is to submit your infographic to the directories namely Reddit, visual.ly, and submit infographics.
Also build internal links: They are quite significant for operating a successful blog. Through a decent internal linking structure, it is easy to help users to effortlessly browse via your website and boost the entire user experience.
You can use Monitor Backlinks to spy on your competitors’ backlinks. Using Semrush tool helps you to assess from where your competitors receive authoritative backlinks. In case you aim to develop backlinks towards your website, you must do it smartly and carefully. Make sure to not directly ask any webmaster for a link. This approach will harm your connection with them. After knowing the fundamentals of SEO, you need to develop an attractive content and market it. You can perform email outreach to market your best articles.
PART II – Mastering The SEO
You can optimize your content for your website visitors and search engines. Also, you can boost rankings for the content.
The off-page SEO is important if you aim to kick-start your search rankings.
4. Build A List Of Profitable Keywords
You must identify the RIGHT keywords for your blog. In case you can prepare a list of all profitable keywords, it is straightforward to achieve increase in search traffic. After there is a decent list of keywords, you can begin writing content.
Before building the list, you must know about long tail keywords.
If long tail keywords are not used in your content, it implies that you would miss plenty of search traffic. These keywords are profitable to target.
Here are the tools that will help you can find long tail keywords for your niche:
- Google keyword planner: You can directly obtain information from Google. It is the search engine you would usually have to target while optimizing your website. It produces lots of long tail keywords.
- Ubersuggest: The tool offers all the data and keywords that you required to make decisions. Also, it offers you with certain keywords that are not accessible via the Google Keyword Planner.
- Soovle: It is a free keyword research tool that offers autocomplete suggestions from various sources. Consequently, it will enhance your search volume.
- Bulk keyword generator: This tool is useful if you are looking for local keywords for the business you are operating. You simply need to enter your service location as well as click “Generate keywords”. You would be provided with a list of keywords.
- 7search: You need to visit 7search and click on “Advertisers” tab. Now click on the “enter your keywords” tab to proceed. You can enter keywords, for example “Marketing tactics” and then click on green button. Subsequently, you would be provided with several long tail keywords.
You need to always begin with your seed keyword to search long tail variants. It is possible to add commercial touch to the keywords. Generally, commercial keywords are those that qualify or modify the long tail keywords. It includes words like Review, Buy, Discount, Coupon, Deal, etc.
You can use any of the tools to have a list of different long tail keywords. With the help of Google keyword planner, you could have an approximate idea about traffic levels for these keywords.
After having the long tail keywords, you can fasses the difficulty to rank for a particular keyword. So, you can download SEO Quake Chrome extension. It transforms the relevant SEO data of every site that is shownunder each search result.
5. Create Long-Form Of Content
Everybody says that you can write long and wonderful content to receive more traffic and have prospective readers. Each blogger is knowledgeable of the fact that short content is dead. Articles with 600 word limit are not prevalent.
For beginner blogger, it is difficult to write lengthy content. If you want to boost Domain Authority (DA) and Page Authority (PA), and bring in search engine traffic, it is imperative to write lengthy content.
Writing lengthy content will not give any results. It must be useful and keyword centric.
While writing content, you must ascertain that you are following below points:
- What is my target audience? What precisely I am going to convey to them via this content?
- How it would be beneficial to them? How would this post solve their issue?
Now, how can you prepare lengthy content? How to build your blog post for lengthy content?
Along with writing lengthy content, you should write quality content which must be valuable for readers. There are many people struggling to write long and valuable content. If you want to bring in organic search engine traffic, you should create 1000 – 3000 word long articles. They also assist you to receive more social shares.
While creating lengthy post, there is a chance that your readers may get boredom. So, to make it interesting, follow these while writing:
- Include visuals in your post so to create your content more interesting.
- Never iterate what your competitors are telling about it. Your content must be unique.
- Write content which engage your reader. When you provide public speech, you must decide how to say. The same must be reflected in your content.
- Include statistics relevant to your post. It improves trust among your readers.
- Use charts wherever it is needed.
- Write attractive headings within your blog post to let your readers further read your post.
- You need to research to write lengthy content with proper information.
- Properly format your article. You can use sub headings as well as sub subheadings.
- Provide up-to-date information inside your content. Check aspects that are trending in your niche. You can use Buzzsumo to determine top performing content prevalent in your niche.
You can collapse you content into tiny pieces. You have to prepare list of ideas to support your niche topic. Subsequently, you can make include catchy headlines in your blog post. Don’t just write tips but also make it engaging. You must speak practically not logically.
Some tips while writing:
- Begin writing every day.
- Prevent distractions when writing. Turn off social media platforms till you complete writing.
- Focus on writing. Specifically, you can check grammatical errors after you beginproofreading your article.
- Prepare the article draft, prepare an outline and begin expanding.
- Maintain deadlines and reward yourself after completed.
- Do competitors’ analysis.
- You must write content related to keywords related to your blog niche.
- Include images/videos/quotes/presentations in the content.
What happens if you write 3000 word article?
- It links you with the correct audience.
- It interests backlinks and hence increases organic search traffic.
- You will obtain loyal audience. If you are maintaining comprehensive information in the content then readers won’t direct to other websites. This is because they receive all the information they need.
6. Spy On Your Competitors And Reap The Benefits
You must spy on your competitors if you want to build your business. To dominate your competition, you must know your competitors’ activities for the keywords they are ranking, the way they engage in social media, the place from where they receive quality backlinks, and their strategy for marketing.
Competitor analysis is inevitable for marketing. A successful marketing strategy relies on assessing the customer behaviour and performing in-depth competitor analysis.
You may be confused on how to receive more shares and increase the number of audience. This information can be easily obtained by evaluating what all your competitors are performing for the competitor analysis. You can use Semrush for this.
Through this tool, you can easily assess the best-performing keywords of your competitors. Moreover, it also allows you to assess competitors display ads and obtain the correct keywords for your SEO as well as PPC campaigns.
Click the following link to use Semrush free for 30 days. (price $119.95)
You need to login to the dashboard and type in your competitor’s site URL. Moreover, you can select the country you want to analyze.
Now click on “positions” in “Organic Research” to display the keywords for which your competitor is organically ranking.
You can click on “positions” in “Advertising Research” to get more details related to their paid search positions.
This is how you can use Semrush data:
- Type your top keywords in search bar of Semrush tool and then it will show a list of several websites.
- Note these websites and also look at your topmost 5 competitors.
- Click on each of those competitors and note down the same information. It is helpful to find the topmost 5 keywords they typically use along with their topmost 5 competitors.
- Compare your keywords with their keywords.
- Click on “Positions” in the left side menu and study the more in depth details on your own website and also of each competitor. It provides you an in-depth understanding of the of various keywords’ performance.
It is possible to compare your competitor’s traffic with your website’s traffic and any paid traffic they own. This will inform you how efficiently your competitors’ websites are performing in context to yours and the different keywords they are using at the best.
Semrushprovides a unique set of tools to perform keywords’ effective analysis which your competitors are utilizing to get Google ranking.
In addition to the competitor research and keyword research, Semrush tool also assists you to perform two other significant things. One of them is site audit and another is backlink analysis. Using its site audit tool, it is easy to perform an in-depth audit of your existing on-site SEO. Moreover, it helps you to ascertain that your webpages are properly optimized for your most significant keywords.
Using Semrush’s Backlink tools, you can check where they are receiving the links and then you can try to obtain some of those similar links for your site.
7. Track Your SEO Progress
After you have done enough practice of the off-page SEO, on-page SEO, and building backlinks, it’s now time to supervise your results through your SEO progress tracking.
The Importance Of SEO Tools
SEO is a massive ocean and you can’t dump into it without accessing the appropriate tools. There exist hundreds of SEO tools but most of them don’t provide you the proper results. Since last 6 years, I have used hundreds of tools. The following section discusses a few SEO tools which I highly recommend to start your SEO journey.
Rank Math SEO: This plugin is easy to use and is free of cost. If you aim to enhance your on-page SEO then Rank Math SEO plugin is quite useful for you.
Semrush: I continued using this SEO tool since last more than 6 years. It helped me to triple my entire search traffic as well as the website sales.It is a must-have tool for anybody dedicated to obtaining better search rankings as well as sales.
You can do following things with this tool.
- Backlink analysis
- Keyword research
- Competitor’s research
- Determine traffic of any website
- Site audit to solve your site issues
- Domain to domain comparison
- Ad research
Exclusive Deal: You can obtain Semrush pro account free for 30 days. You can use the following special link to obtain it free of cost ($119.95 offer!).
Here are few main tools you can use for this purpose:
- Google Analytics: Are you interested to learn more regarding your visitors? If yes then you can use Google Analytics to supervise your organic search traffic sources and check what keywords people are utilizing to discover your website within the search results. Consequently, you would understand what keywords you must target through your SEO campaign.
- Authority Labs: This tool helps you to track keyword rankings for your site. This helps you to check if they are going up in the search results or not. You can make a free account that you can obtain after using the 30 days of trial period of the pro account.
You can begin using these tools to learn in detail about whether your SEO attempts are bringing in any positive impact or not.
FAQs About SEO For Beginners
The following section discusses some key questions related to SEO for beginners in 2023 and further.
1. What are the most powerful SEO types?
There is a broad range of SEO categories; however, the most significant ones are discussed below.
- On page SEO: It denotes all the actions carried out in the website to obtain better ranking and to receive better traffic from search engines. It involves the insertion of keywords in meta description, titles, image alt tags, URL, etc.
- Off page SEO: It involves all the actions you carry out outside of your website to impact your website rankings. It involves building links through strategies like influencer marketing, guest posting, social bookmarking, email outreach, etc.)
2. What are the best SEO tools for a beginner?
There exist thousands of SEO tools for beginners. But the following list mentions a few of the excellent tools to use.
- Moz tools
- Rank Math SEO
They help you to boost your search traffic.
3. What is robots.txt file?
Robots.txt is a most significant text file that informs search engine robots about which pages on your website to crawl and which one to avoid crawling. The key goal of the search engine robots is to read your website’s data. Whenever search engine crawlers come to your website, they would be searching for certain special file known as robot.txt file. This file informs search engine spiders about which pages of your website must be indexed and which pages to be neglected.
4. What is better SEO or PPC?
SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization. It is the greatest powerful and free approach to produce more traffic and leads to your website. However, it usually takes time to produce results.
PPC stands for Pay Per Click. It is alternatively called SEM (Search Engine Marketing). It is an effective PAID promotion tactic to quickly boost your websites’ traffic emerging from search engines.
SEO is better option than PPC if you plan to get long-term results at free of cost. On the other hand, PPC is a better option if you want faster results.
We wrote an in-depth comparison post between from which you can get all the details.
5. How to measure a website’s SEO performance?
You need the following things if you wish to determine the SEO performance of your website.
- Keyword Rankings
- Click-Through Rate (CTR)
- Mobile Traffic (visitors coming from mobiles)
- Bounce Rate (the lower the better)
- Domain Authority
- Organic Traffic
- Backlink profile
- Time Spent on Page
Final Thoughts On SEO Tutorial 2023 For Beginners
SEO is not difficult but in fact, it’s quite useful to grow your website. I’ve been practicing it for several years and it proves to be easy to use when you have the right fundamentals.
Therefore, I have decided to write an in-depth SEO tutorial for beginners to obtain better search rankings as well as traffic in 2023. In case you are just starting out, you must focus on an SEO technique (it can be on-page SEO, link building, or site audit) one at a time to gain the best benefits.